Sunday, September 19, 2010

The power of music

Lately I have thought so much about what Music does for the soul. I cannot sing a hymn without praying; it somehow forces me into a posture of repentance. If I come to a song already with that posture, then my soul resonates with the chords of the song. Those are the most wonderful moments.

As an intercultural studies major, we talk about how strategic it is to learn the local music style and to use it in evangelism. It always seemed so strategic and practical to do that, but there's a reason that is so effective: music is the language of the soul. I am increasingly more convinced of it.

I am learning to relate to people through their preferred style of music. I recently decided to start learning Christian rap so that I can relate to a different culture. I started to learn mariachi because many of my coworkers love that music. It creates such open doors for soul moments.

But also, i need to be careful what music I am dwelling in. It hugely affects my mood. If I listen to praise and worship music--even if I am not in the "right mood" for it--it makes me focus more on God that day. I can tell a difference! If I listen to angry music, then I will be angry. I am allowing my soul to participate with the musicians I listen to. I've never set boundaries with music before, but I think that they really are necessary. I want to nurture and cultivate certain desires and passions and then not give free reign to others.

*disclaimer: sorry about my lazy communication in this post. Couldn't think well enough to write well.

1 comment:

  1. Mathematics is logical. It focuses on structure, space, quantity, change, order. It is the expression of the complexity and multi-dimensional God we love and how in His complexity and multi-dimensional nature He is unified and orderly.

    Music is mathematics incarnate. :) It is the mathematics of the soul and resonates with it. It is interesting, everything has a resonate pitch and will respond when that pitch is played. If you set a guitar next to a speaker and play the note "B" through it, the "B" string on the guitar will start vibrating. Perhaps it is the same with our soul. When our soul comes in contact with its resonate pitch, our very being responds.

    Thank you for your beautiful and well written post. :) It really got me thinking and I decided to post it here.

    -Brian

    ReplyDelete